A Bible Belt beauty shares her shallowest and not so thoughts.

Monday, August 01, 2005

Racism

The DMV and I are not on speaking terms right now, seeing as I broke the law a few years ago. I’ve had to resort to public transport which, in Atlanta, isn’t all that great anyways. This has occasionally put me in a position to where I have felt the sting of racism. I’ve had a bus driver insist I needed a rail transfer, whereas I was going to get off the bus before it got to the station. ("No, thank you. No, thank you. No.") The bus drivers also have their bi-annual “Pass a White Girl Day.” Yeah a hooker disguised as a college student, I mean, damn. Why else would I be standing at a bus stop on the side of the road? (and no, they weren’t buses that said “Laredo Garage”) I’ve also caught flack from my co-passengers, which usually isn’t more than the bad attitude they woke up with.Yesterday’s experience stands up as one of the top ten for me.

I was hung over from the Bushmills I drank the night before, and trying my best to hold back my motion sickness. In walks a group of guys who are about my age, are dressed well, and generally pretty good-looking. One was being silly, and I suspected they had been drinking. One of the guys, who sat behind me, started going “Daaammnnn. Oooooooh, Snow White. What’s up snowflake, hey baby, what’s up baby, hey baby. Look at that snow white skin…..” I turned to give him the famous Lisa Look, and my wrath didn’t register in his thick skull. He rambled some more and then leaned in closer to me and said “Oh. She ain’t talking to us blah blah blah.” I replied, “I’m hung over.” He kept going on, so I turned again and said “Look man, I don’t feel like talking.” He goes with arms flailing, “Sheeeit! FUCK IT! FUCK IT!” I was thankful when they got off the bus because for the rest of the ride he was saying shit like “you tell ‘em snow.” Uncomfortable.

I hate men that are that stupid. What makes a guy think that he is going to get ANYWHERE with a woman through whistling and hey-babying? I refuse to believe that there are many women out there who do (happily) respond. Then back to the racism thing. I know that there are times when every one of us lets our pre-concieved notions take over, and both knowingly and unknowingly make racist judgements or statements. (like the bus driver who assumed I didn’t know the MARTA status-quo) Shit happens. I am opposed to those who throw around race as if it were not the serious issue that it is. Whether its with politicians and disgruntled employees throwing the race-card, or some drunken man with a hurt ego.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home