A Bible Belt beauty shares her shallowest and not so thoughts.

Friday, July 15, 2005

July 16, 2005
Went to open mic night last night at the little dive I used to work at, The Other Bar. I went in with high expectations, remembering how fun the last one I went to was. That night all of my favorite people were there and some new friends. Among them were my favorite Fidel Castro lover, Cottonmouth, and Daisy, who is a female impersonator (one of the funniest PC terms I've come across as of late). You never know what to expect on open mic night. Sometimes its just one guy who really sucks at playing and singing, or it may be multiple artists that are very talented who make these spur of the moment hodge-podge bands that are brilliant.

Last night I had my heart set on seeing Cottonmouth, and really hoped that it was a night that he randomly showed up. I've heard him play the harp a few times in some of the hodge-podges, and was really impressed. The first time I met him was at another local bar and he was looking completely out of place. This particular bar is a venue for death metal type bands, and there he was at the bar sitting alone watching the bands and talking to the bar tender. He was wearing a tweed sport coat and smoking a fat cigar. I sat next to him and we had a long conversation about History and politics, he being a History professor and I a history major. He gave me at list of books to read with his phone number on the back.

It was at least six months later, when I began working at the dive, that we became re-acquainted. The first time I was his bartender he had expressed to me how Fidel Castro was his "hero." I was completely shocked because I had never heard those words come out of anybody's mouth. I dismissed the conversation saying that I didn't really know much about Cuba, Castro, or communism (other than what government schools have taught me) and was unable to have a discussion about it. It did open a curiosity up for me to learn more about the subject. At the time I had a wonderful oportunity to learn more; seeing as my Spanish teacher was a Cuban woman who left Cuba with her husband and children in 1965, six years after they applied to leave the country. Upon other meetings and conversations, I found him to be very intelligent and interesting. Our conversations were challenging and fun for me. When I would see him I'd say "there's my favorite Castro lover!" I enjoyed seeing him because the majority of my customers were druggie half-wits and he brought a refreshing change in my scenery.

So last night I sat at the bar while my friends settled in. My ex-customer Michelle came and sat next to me and we began to exchange the 'what have you been up to latelys.' She told me that a friend of hers died a few weeks ago in a car accident, and it turns out it was Cottonmouth. She didn't know that I knew him upon telling me. Needless to say I was very shocked and upset. She knew him as the harmonica playing blues player and not as the professor, and for me it was more vice-versa. He was such a cool guy with many talents and many friends and will be missed very much.

Theodore "Cottonmouth" Letis we love you!!

Yo digo ese para ti- y solo ti........Viva Fidel Castro!

www.holywordcafe.com/bible/Letis.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home